Last night, I was doing some work on my blog as ever since I wrote the custom theme I use (and since updated it) I have neglected my mobile visitors and the mobile views not only looked awful but in some cases, depending on the device you were using made the content totally invisible due to the black wallpaper background and the black body text appearing on top of each other.
I decided I wanted to add a fixed top header that faded away as you scroll down the page and reappeared as you scroll back up as I’ve seen it on a number of sites before and the effect is both aesthetically pleasing and maximises the real estate on devices with small screens such as smartphones. I found a site which had a good reference on how to implement this using jQuery and I added the script to the site and the relevant CSS selectors but it wasn’t working.
Many enterprises are still dealing with the challenges of completing Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 migrations. Whether you are moving to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, perhaps even running the gauntlet on Windows XP and hedging your bets for Windows 10 later this year on your clients all the while, evaluating and testing your line of business applications and servers on Windows Server 2012 R2, there is a lot to deal with.
There’s nothing like a little added pressure to throw into the mix and that is why as of 12th April 2015, there is one year left on the extended support status of SQL Server 2005.
Our MD at Fordway authored an article on freshbusinessthinking.com back in November 2014 which I was drawn to today which for me really hits the nail on the head about security and how public cloud addresses it and the simple fact is, is your organisation fully PCI DSS compliant or do you hold an ISO 27001 certification? How about the myriad of other industry security certifications such as SOC, FIPS 140-2, HIPAA or EAL?
We live in a world where communications are transferred around the world in sub-second times thanks to services like Twitter, Facebook and WhatsApp. Thanks to Facebook, LinkedIn and other people hubs we are closer connected and thanks to all of this high-speed communication and information transfer, we discover news and new information faster than ever before.
Taking all of this into consideration, why is it, that we are still in a world where one country takes the glut of the new technology releases without them officially seeing the streets of foreign lands only assisting to line the pockets of the lucky few who are able to import and export these technologies and sell them in the foreign lands via channels like eBay at exorbitant prices.
Since about a week or so ago, the kids Tesco Hudl 2 tablets that they got for Christmas have been consistently reporting the wrong date and time. The issue is easily spotted because anytime they launch an app or open the Google Play Store or perform any action that depends on an SSL certificate, they are shown a certificate warning due to the inconsistency between the server date and time and the client date and time. Sometimes the tablet can appear just a few hours out of sync but in the main, it seems that the devices reset their date to January 1st 2015.
In my last post, Server Surgery Aftermath, I talked about the issues I was having with my home server. Whilst continuing to try and identify the issues after the post, I ran across some more BSODs and I managed to collect useful crash dumps for a number of them. Reviewing the crash dumps with WinDbg from the Windows Debugging Tools, I was able to see that in every instance of the BSOD, the faulting module was network related with the blame shared equally between Ndis.sys and NdisImPlatform.sys which means that my previous suspicion of the LSI MegaRAID controller were out of the window.
It first happened when I removed the 3TB drive from the chassis to replace it with the new 5TB drive which caused a Storage Spaces rebuild and all of the drives started to chatter away copying blocks around and about half-way through the rebuild, the server stopped responding to pings. I jumped on to the IPMI remote console expecting to see that I was using so much I/O on the rebuild that it had decided to stop responding on the network but in actual fact, the screen was blank and there was nothing there. I tried to start a graceful shutdown using the IMPI but that failed to I had to reset the server.
When Windows came back up, it greeted me with the unexpected shutdown error. I checked Storage Spaces and the rebuild had resumed with no lost data or drives and eventually (there’s a lot of data there) it completed and I thought nothing more of it all until New Years day when the same thing happened again. This time, after restarting the server and realising this was no one off event, I changed the Startup and Recovery settings in Windows to generate a Small Memory Dump (256KB) otherwise known as a Minidump and I also disabled the automatic restart option as I wanted to try and get a chance to see the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) if there was one.
So with my recent bought of activity on the home lab project front, evident from my previous posts Project Home Lab: Server Build and Project Home Lab: Servers Built, I’ve forged ahead and got some of the really challenging an blocking bits of the project done over Christmas. I eluded to what I needed to do next in the post Project Home Lab: Servers Built. All of this work paves the way for me to get the project completed in good order, hopefully all during January, at long last.
So in the last post (which I wrote in April but only posted a few minutes ago), I talked about some of the elements of the build I had done thus far. Well weekend just gone, I finished the builds bar a few small items and I’m glad to see the back of it to be honest. Here’s the pictures to show the pretty stuff first then I’ll talk effort and problems.