“The connection to the server was unsuccessful. Please check the server name and/or credentials entered.
Additional Information: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.”
If you receive this error, you need to read the Exchange Connector 3.0 documentation a little more carefully before heading to the Microsoft Download Center to download the Microsoft Exchange Web Service Managed API. You must be using version 1.2 of the API .dll file for Service Manager to work correctly. If you downloaded and used the later 2.0 version of the API, you will receive this error. This applies to all versions of Exchange including Office 365 or Exchange Online.
So with my recent bought of activity on the home lab project front, evident from my previous posts Project Home Lab: Server Build and Project Home Lab: Servers Built, I’ve forged ahead and got some of the really challenging an blocking bits of the project done over Christmas. I eluded to what I needed to do next in the post Project Home Lab: Servers Built. All of this work paves the way for me to get the project completed in good order, hopefully all during January, at long last.
So in the last post (which I wrote in April but only posted a few minutes ago), I talked about some of the elements of the build I had done thus far. Well weekend just gone, I finished the builds bar a few small items and I’m glad to see the back of it to be honest. Here’s the pictures to show the pretty stuff first then I’ll talk effort and problems.
In case you haven’t gathered, progress on the home lab build has been frankly awful and it’s entirely my fault for putting other things first like sitting and watching TV. Those of you who follow me on Twitter will have seen back in April, I tweeted a picture of the build starting on the 2U Hyper-V server and all of the components I’ve had delivered thus far have been installed. For those of you who don’t, here’s the picture I tweeted.
This is a really quick post but something exciting I wanted to share. Last night, I did a bit of work to help get the home lab up and running and after finishing some bits and pieces, I’ve now got the Hyper-V server up and running with the Windows Server 2012 R2 installation. Here’s a screenshot of Task Manager showing the memory and CPU sockets and cores available on the machine.
This week, I have been working on a custom management pack for System Center Service Manager to add new classes for Mobile Phone and SIM Card Configuration Items. Once of the requirements for this was to include some lists which can be updated via the console and used to store values abut these two CIs. […]
When I started to use Azure Backup with the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials integration a number of years ago, Azure Backup was limited to 30 days retention but I knew that this had been increased of late so using the Microsoft Azure Backup client on my server, I looked to see what the maximum value was that I could set the backup job retention to and the number that came out was 3360 Days which in a sensible scale is 9 Years and 3 Months.
The reason for this post, other than to explain how simple the Management Pack is to deploy is to have a little gripe. The user which you create in Office 365 needs to be configured as a Global Administrator on your tenant. To compare things to on-premises, that’s like using an account which is a member of Enterprise Admins to monitor Exchange On-Premises, a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I personally like things to be least privileged so the idea of having a Global Administrator account for this purpose is an annoyance. In that the Management Pack is testing the health of services within your tenant, I personally don’t see any reason that this account couldn’t be a Service Administrator to still give it some administrative powers but lessen them or failing that, a standard user. I suspect the need for being an administrator comes from the need to query a service API which is only available to accounts authenticated with administrative rights.
After installing Windows Server 2012 R2, the machine starts to boot and at the point where I would expect to see a message along the lines of Configuring Devices, the machine hits a Blue Screen of Death with the message Stop 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and restarts. This happens a few times before it hangs on a black screen warning that the computer has failed to start after multiple attempts. I assumed it was a BIOS problem so I went hunting in the BIOS in case I had enabled a setting not supported by my CPU or maybe I’d set the wrong ACHI or IDE mode options but everything looked good. I decided to try the Optimized Defaults and Failsafe Defaults options in the BIOS, both of which required an OS re-install due to the AHCI changes but neither worked.
Although it was a nice gesture to add some new cipher suites to Windows, there was a knock on effect to installing KB2992611 and adding these new cipher suites as it appears that Google Chrome for one, possibly more browsers depending on the version you have, do not accept these ciphers and the addition would cause browsers to fail to connect to websites and causing TLS sessions to be dropped. There are also other issues although less widely reported about the installation of KB2992611 causing SQL and ODBC based data connections within applications to drop dramatically in performance.