Monitoring SQL Server Agent Jobs with SCOM Guide

Late last night, I published a TechNet Guide that I have been working on recently entitled “Monitoring SQL Server Agent Jobs with SCOM”. Here’s the introduction from the document.

All good database administrators (DBAs) create jobs, plans and tasks to keep their SQL servers in tip top shape but a lot of the time, insight as to the status of these jobs is left either unturned like an age old stone or is done by configuring SQL Database Mail on your SQL servers so that email alerts are generated which means you have additional configuration being done on every server to configure this and it’s yet another thing to manage.

In this guide, I am going to walk you through configuring a System Center Operations Manager 2012 R2 environment to extend the monitoring of your SQL Servers to include the health state of your SQL Server Agent Jobs, allowing you to keep an eye on not just the SQL Server platform but also on the jobs that run to make the platform healthy.

You can download the guide from the TechNet Gallery at https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SQL-Server-Agent-Jobs-with-f2b7d5ce. Please rate the guide to let me know whether you liked it or not using the star system on TechNet. I welcome your feedback in the Q&A.

The Case of The Failed SharePoint Server 2007 Indexing

As my LinkedIn profile will kindly tell you, I’m working on a SharePoint deployment for Vocera to replace our current aged and disorganised ECM (Enterprise Content Management) system.

I was very confused one day to discover during my proof of concept and design stages that the indexing and crawling in SharePoint stopped working. I originally blamed this on myself for moving from an internal model to a external model by making some changed to the Shared Services Provider (SSP), however I discovered today this is untrue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointsearch/thread/84f93fbe-f4a6-4683-b25b-b595b9006ad7

This most helpful Microsoft TechNet Social forum page explains how the cause is a .NET Framework 3.5 Family update that makes changes to the authentication model and providers in SharePoint.

Follow the instructions in the post from Sandeep Lad to resolve your issues.

The Case of the Failed Search Index

So last night I setup our archive logs scripts for my PC and Nicky’s laptop because since my Vista rebuild I’ve never reconfigured it.

This morning, Nicky’s laptop ran it’s first log export and I was reviewing the logs to see how things where looking based on the BSOD’s she been getting recently, and I was shocked by the number of red crosses in the log all from the Windows Search Service regarding failed search indexing.

Read the Full Post