Missing Patches and Updates in SharePoint

I drafted this post quite a while ago, but I’ve only just got around to completing it and posting it.

Recently, I was completing some out of hours work to apply the August 2012 Cumulative Update to our production SharePoint 2010 SP1 environment.

After completing the installation of the SharePoint 2010 Foundation and SharePoint Server 2010 update packages, I tried to run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Wizard to initiate the timer job that upgrades the database schema, and it wouldn’t run, reporting that one of the servers was missing the updates that I had just installed.

When searching for the answer, I came across SharePoint Management Shell Cmdlet Get-SPProduct -Local. This useful little Cmdlet for PowerShell forces the local installation of SharePoint to rescan all of it’s installed components and by the looks of it, where needed, updates the SharePoint_Config database with the installed updates for the server. Before running the Cmdlet, I did an iisreset /noforce. Doing this ensures that the web applications are in a suitable state and reloaded with all the latest files.

After running these two commands, running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Wizard successfully validated the servers and allowed the wizard to complete.

richardjgreen

Richard works as a Cloud Consultant for Fordway Solution where his primary focus is to help customers understand, adopt and develop with Microsoft Azure, Office 365 and System Center. Richard Green is an IT Pro with over 15 years' of experience in all things Microsoft including System Center and Office 365. He has previously worked as a System Center consultant and as an internal solutions architect across many verticals. Outside of work, he loves motorbikes and is part of the orange army, marshaling for NGRRC, British Superbikes and MotoGP. He is also an Assistant Cub Scout Leader.