After successfully upgrading from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010, I noticed that the icon for PDF documents was missing from my Document Libraries. As part of the installation process, SharePoint 2010 installs itself to a folder called 14 to designate its version number as SharePoint 2007 used a folder number of 12. It was apparent that nothing was migrated from the 12 folder as as a result any modifications will be lost.
- Download the PDF icon. Visit http://www.adobe.com/misc/linking.html and download a copy of the small 17×17 PDF icon.
- Copy the icon to Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES
- Open the DOCICON.XML file in Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML
- Add the following line to the DOCICON.XML file:
<Mapping Key="pdf" Value="pdf16.gif"/>
- Save DOCICON.XML
- Open a Command Prompt and type iisreset to reset the IIS Application Pools
You will now have beautiful looking PDF icons in your document libraries in SharePoint 2010.